Listen, I know the shelter in place or quarantine may have you searching for something new to cook that:
- Uses ingredients already in your pantry and kitchen
- Doesn't cost a fortune
- Fills up your diners
This easy, hearty chickpea and sausage stew meets all the above requirements!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 12 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen leaf spinach
- ½ tablespoon Simply Savory by Rachel Cajun Lagniappe seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cups cooked rice
Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the sausage and cook, crumbling it with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 8 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Stir in the parsley, the broth, and chickpeas and bring to a boil. Add the frozen spinach and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork to separate the leaves.
Stir in the seasonings and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over rice! Enjoy!