I can remember growing up being excited about leftover rice after dinner because I knew that a delicious dish would be making an appearance the next morning--sausage and rice.
Similar to a Cajun dirty rice, this breakfast dirty rice uses cooked long grain rice, a crumbled meat, and the Trinity (onions, celery, and bell pepper). What makes it breakfasty is the use of a good breakfast sausage and pure maple syrup! The result--a quick and hearty breakfast entrée or side.
- 1 TBSP OLIVE OIL
- 1/2 CUP YELLOW ONION, CHOPPED
- 1 POUND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE
- 1/2 CUP CHICKEN STOCK/BROTH
- 2 TBSP MAPLE SYRUP
- 1/2 RED BELL PEPPER, CHOPPED
- 1 STALK CELERY FINELY CHOPPED
- 2 TSP CAJUN SEASONING
- 6 CUPS COOKED RICE (WHITE OR BROWN)
- 1/2 CUP SCALLIONS, CHOPPED
- 1 TBSP BUTTER
- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- BROWN SAUSAGE IN LARGE SAUTÉ PAN, CRUMBLING AS IT COOKS. ADD ONION, CELERY, AND BELL PEPPER. COOK UNTIL SOFT AND TRANSLUCENT.
- ADD CHICKEN STOCK, BUTTER, AND MAPLE SYRUP AND COOKED RICE.
- SEASON WITH CAJUN SEASONING AND SIMMER FOR 2 MINUTES.
- STIR IN THE SCALLIONS. SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE.