Cool Weather Chicken and Biscuits
The weather is crisping and cooling—time for some soul warming, comforting dishes just like this Chicken and Biscuits!
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Simply Savory by Rachel Gem City Blend
- pinch dried sage
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 Tbsp butter, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp dried parsley
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Preheat oven to 450 F degrees. Melt butter in 4 qt braising pan or 12" oven safe skillet over MED-HIGH heat. Add carrots and onion. Cook until the onion is softened, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the flour, Gem City Blend, sage, salt and pepper (to taste) over the vegetables and stir to coat completely. Cook for 1 minute to cook out the floury taste.
- Add the chicken stock, chicken pieces, milk and peas to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover the pan and cook 5 minutes.
- While chicken mixture is simmering, add 2 Tbsp of the butter to a large microwave safe mixing bowl. Microwave 30 seconds, or until the butter is melted. Add flour, baking powder, sugar, garlic powder, and ½ tsp kosher salt. Stir until combined. Pour in the milk and stir until the flour is all wet; do not overmix. Fold in the cheese
PUT IT ALL TOGETHER:
- Uncover the pot and drop heaping spoonfuls of biscuits on top of the chicken stew. Transfer to the oven and bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Melt remaining 2 Tbsp butter in a small bowl. Add the remaining kosher salt and dried parsley. Stir with a pastry brush. Remove pan from oven and brush the biscuits with the melted butter mixture.