Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
This is an amazing, easy weeknight dish that can please the entire family! You can switch the protein if you'd like--think smoked sausage!
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
1 cup spinach chopped
½ lb. penne or rigatoni pasta, cooked al dente and drained
15 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
4 oz. cream cheese
¼ cup heavy cream
2 green onions, sliced
- Place the cubed chicken in a bowl, pour the Cajun seasoning over top, and stir to coat the chicken in spices.
- Add the olive oil and butter to a large deep skillet. Heat the oil and butter over medium-high until the skillet is hot and butter is melted. Add the seasoned chicken to the skillet and cook for a couple minutes on each side, or just until the outside gets some color.
- Add the diced onion to the skillet and continue to sauté for about 2 minutes more, or just until the onion begins to soften. The moisture from the onion will get up any delicious browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Next, add the fire roasted diced tomatoes and spinach to the skillet and saute for 5-10 minutes. Then add chicken broth to the skillet. Stir just until everything is evenly combined and allow the broth to come up to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium low and add the cooked pasta, cooking until the liquid is thick and saucy.
- Add the heavy cream and cream cheese to the skillet in chunks, then stir until it has melted into the sauce. Top the pasta with sliced green onions and serve.